Thursday 30 April 2009

A new 'hood and a new home

I never thought it would happen but here I sit, sun on my back, stealing internet from the apartment above and thoroughly enjoying my new surrounds - post-essay, post-review, post-presentation. Sigh.

It hasn't yet been a week but already I am smitten with my new part of the world. Columbia Rd, I have decided, is my most favourite part of London (yes yes I have yet to fully explore all of London yarda yarda yarda) BUT - to be three minutes walk - if that - from this charming, quirky corner of the world, home to the flower markets and cool pubs and cute cafes and kooky shops, well I couldn't be more delighted. Three minutes to weekend flower purchases, 10 minutes to Brick Lane, 15 minutes to Broadway Market and its organic food stalls. Heaven.



Heaven too is having that bloody glut of assignments out of the way. I couldn't even bring myself to re-read them before the old print off and hand in. Good riddance. I'm all about fresh starts and the sweet smelling flowers in the air are just the icing on the gourmet cupcake. (Thank you Columbia Rd...)



The move on Saturday went pretty seamlessly - and LB deserves an Extra L for Lovely after his efforts first in guiding me away from unnecessary tupperware purchases at Ikea and then in assembling my new chest of drawers and bedside table. Bless.


Indeed, what with my new haircut and my new shoes and the glorious sunshine I could positively skip.

I'm nannying this weekend (four boisterous Australian kids aged 7-13... I'm prematurely exhausted just at the thought of it) but am full of zealous plans to power through the reading for my next - and last! - essay in between episodes of Hannah Montana on the Disney channel. After this essay, another pointless slide test and my dissertation proposal presentation all that stands between now and November is 15,000 words. Sc-ary. How did it get to be nearly May already??

Life is really starting to feel like it's making sense here in the wake of my litany of fresh starts and continuining in that vein, next week I'm starting an internship with a really interesting art consultancy near Soho Square and I am so(ho) excited about it, not least of all because they have told me that there will be a full-time paid position available in 3-6 months time and if all things internship go well then it could very well be mine. Wowser. I think that will require new shoes - but one thing at a time.


Anyway - the sun is making me sleepy and I have 18 pages of theory on globalisation and activism to get through before tomorrow morning - and my open-toed shoes require a session with the nail polish so best get to it.

No comments: